So I did a ton of test cuts today. Mostly with cheap sacrificial materials. I expected this plexiglass to not do well at all. I just wanted to check my dimensions with it. But aside from a slight discoloration in a few spots the plexi seems to be stronger than some of the woods I have used.
Sadly my first attempt with a really nice wood did not fare well. I used a 1/8 inch thick sheet if Purpleheart wood and the hinge just burned due to the proximity of the cuts to each other. I intend to revise my design for hard wood to increase the spacing of cuts. Hopefully I can avoid wasting anymore material.